Monday, May 28, 2012

Reflections

It has been three weeks since we lost our jobs, along with 23 of our coworkers. I'm still not ready to write about it.

Instead, here is what Peter wrote in his goodbye letter:

Five years ago to the day I was driving between Nipigon, Ont., and North Bay, Ont., equal measures excited, nervous and scared. I was a few hundred miles and a handful of sleeps away from starting a daunting new job. I was unsure if I was up to the task of joining this upstart wire service looking to take on the giant Canadian Press.

Little did I know five years later I would have met the girl of my dreams, got married and started a family.

Little did I know I’d get to cover the return of the Winnipeg Jets, a pair of CIS men’s basketball championships, start weekly NASCAR and CFL columns and edit stories from some of the best Canadian sports reporters and columnists.

Little did I know I’d get to work with one of the best groups of journalists assembled, not just for their talent at chasing, writing and editing stories and photos, but for the dedication, compassion and humour they expressed along the way.

Today the job that I drove across the country for no longer exists — and that’s sad. But the friendships I made here, the bonds I forged her and the memories I and everyone else helped create here will last for a very, very long time.

Thanks to those who gave me a chance. Thanks to those who supported me along the way.

Thanks Postmedia News . . . For everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment