Monday, July 9, 2012

Happiness

I had a very hard week after Peter left for B.C. 

It was similar to the first week after we were laid off because I moped around and cried every day. Again, I knew things would work out eventually, but the short term seemed very bleak.

Until a few months ago, I was a full-time employee, a full-time student and a full-time wife. I felt happiest when I was successful at school, productive at work and had lots of time to spend with Peter. 

Then over eight weeks, I finished school, lost my job and my husband moved away.

One thing I found particularly hard was that everyone expected me to be happy. Of course, I was thrilled that Peter found a job and excited to live closer to my family. But I was having a hard time dealing with all our challenges.

We've gone from two incomes to one. We just finished our home renovations and now we have to sell our house. As well, Prince George doesn't have a law school, so Peter and I are going to have to live apart for at least eight months so I can finish my degree. 

I know these problems are minor compared to what others are facing, but at the time they seemed insurmountable. 

Fortunately, I'm feeling much better now. I've also had some time to think about the things that I can do to stay happy since I'm not working or going to school. Some of them don't come naturally to me, which is why I think this new self-awareness is helpful. Now that I know what I need to do, I can force myself to do it.

• Being social. I don't want to spend time with other people when I'm feeling upset, but I always feel better when I do.

• Being productive. The main thing that got me through the first week after Peter left was working on my memos and feeling that sense of accomplishment.

• Eating healthy food and exercising. The latter is harder for me.

• Being creative. I'm not naturally creative like my mother and sister, but I love making scrapbooks. 

• Having a clean and tidy house. Fortunately, I love cleaning and tidying.

• Enjoying my hobbies. Reading, blogging and doing crosswords make me especially happy.

• Focusing on the positive. This sounds really cheesy, but it works. I do have so much to be thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment