Wednesday, August 8, 2012

So What Do You Do?

I've met a lot of people over the past few weeks. My mother has been an elementary school teacher here on and off since before I was born so she seems to know everyone in town. Everywhere we go, she introduces me to people.

Most of them have heard our saga, but those who haven't always ask me one of two questions:

1. Why are you moving to Prince George?

2. What do you do?

The answer to the first question is easy: My husband got a job in Prince George.

But I always struggle with the second question.

I don't mind telling people that we lost our jobs, but it seems a little heavy for small talk. And telling people that I used to be a journalist always prompts more questions.

People also get confused when I tell them I'm in law school because the nearest law school is five hours away. Then I have to explain how and when I'm going to finish my degree, which again seems a little complicated for small talk.

And, because I don't have a baby in my arms yet, I can't really tell people I'm a stay-at-home mother.

This is strange for me because I've always identified myself by my job and I've never been unemployed before.

No comments:

Post a Comment