Saturday, September 29, 2012

Seven Quick Takes (21)



1. I still can't believe Mary is finally here. I am just so grateful that she's healthy and happy. The first time she looked me in the eyes, I started to cry. She is such a miracle!

2. I've completely had to change my attitude toward what I should accomplish in a day. My only goals for the weekend are to rest, eat and feed Mary. The public health nurse who visited on Friday was slightly concerned about Mary's weight loss so both Mary and I are working hard to rectify that before her doctor's appointment on Monday. I've had tons of emails from friends and family that haven't replied to yet, I have thank-you cards to write and I haven't cleaned the house since last Friday. But I keep telling myself that this is OK. I just need to focus on feeding and caring for Mary. (And if I haven't replied to your email yet, I'm sorry and I will!)

3. Peter has been an amazing support. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. Even though he went back to work on Tuesday, he's taken care of all the cooking, cleaning and laundry. He also looks after Mary while I nap each day. Peter is such a pro at diapering, soothing and bathing her. I always feel terribly guilty when I have to rely on Peter to do things I feel I should be doing myself. But again, I have to keep telling myself that I need to focus on feeding and caring for Mary. Again, this is easier said than done. Darn that Catholic guilt!

4. So far Mary has met my parents, my sister, my sister-in-law, my cousin Andrew and my friend Caroline. She is coming with us to mass tomorrow so she will make even more friends. I can't wait to show her off. I'm so proud of her!

5. Other than being tired, I'm feeling pretty well. Physically I am doing great, but I get very weepy and anxious at times. I think this is a combination of the hormones and the lack of sleep. Hopefully it will get better soon. I'm really looking forward to my mother-in-law coming in 11 days. She will be such a huge help. And, because I won't have to be so dependent on Peter while she's here, I hope I will feel less guilty.

6. Mary loves to sleep while we're holding her, but she doesn't like to sleep in her crib. We're working together on it. Since she got home on Wednesday, she has eventually managed to fall asleep in her crib each night. It took until 5 a.m. the first night and 3:30 a.m. the last two days, but we're making progress.

7. Here are some photos:


Our beautiful daughter Mary is nice and clean after her bath.


Mary meets Nana, who is one of her namesakes. Both my mother and mother-in-law are named Mary.


Mary meets Grandpa. My mother knit both her hat and sweater.


Peter is a very proud (and handsome) father.


I am so in awe of her.


Mary meets Auntie Laura and Auntie Andrea.


Mary is ready to leave the hospital.

More quick takes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment